Friday, October 17, 2008

Fall...In Love With Vermont



Fall is my favorite season. Probably because I grew up in New England and learned to appreciate the crisp air, sweet apples and gorgeous foliage that descends upon us before the bitterly cold winter. It's the last hurrah before we all hunker down in our houses in front of the fire.

I chose Fall for my wedding because of the spectacular colors and scenery in Vermont during that time of year. I couldn't imagine any other backdrop for the most magical and special day of my life. My husband also has an affinity for Fall (proof that we are perfect for each other!) so on October 14th of 2006 we pledged our undying love to each other.

As we celebrate our 2nd year anniversary (yes I realize this is a little late- it was Tuesday) we reflect on why we chose Fall. As we drive through our small country town in awe of the fiery color that is overtaking the mountains, or the vibrant reds, golds and oranges that glitter in the sunlight above our heads as we drive through tree lined streets. There is something peaceful and content about Fall- like a well earned reward after all the work of the Summer. The sweet and tart of a crisp, ripe apple that whisks you back to a childhood full of jumping in piles of leaves and carving pumpkins.

It is homey. I want to bake pies and crisps. Heat up stews and soups. It is very similar to the feeling of knowing the person you are with is the love of your life. The feeling of creating a cozy home and nourishing each other's souls. True, Summer is really 'Wedding Season' with it's great weather and warm evenings. But Fall has a magic for me that Summer can never produce and so Fall will always mean love to me.

No comments: