Friday, May 22, 2009

I Heart Thursday (oops I guess Friday!)


So I have been slacking a bit on the I Heart Thursday- but it's ok, I have been busy, and this is just supposed to be fun anyway. As my favorite bumper sticker saying goes (for Ben & Jerry's ice cream, no less- yummm) 'If it's not fun why do it?'. I agree whole heartedly.



Anyway, back to what I heart today and, well, every Spring. More specifically, every May. Lilacs have always been sononomous with May, Memorial Day Weekend, and then my birthday which always seems to fall within Memorial Day weekend or close enough. I used to joke when I was a kid that the Memorial Day parades and dances were for my birthday. Of course, now I am well aware of the significance of Memorial Day and have grown out of such selfish thoughts.



But lilacs have always seemed like they were mine. I have always loved their light purple color, tiny little flowers all clustered together in masse, and the delicate perfume that leaks from them. You only have to pass within a few feet from a lilac bush to catch a sniff of it. They have always seemed to peak in bloom right around my birthday so many a birthday celebration table of mine has been decorated with them.

To me they are innocence and they whisper to me of a simpler time when I had not a care in the world, and my whole life in front of me. They are the beginning of Summer, the almost-end of school, and the start of the next year of my life.



I love that the house we own already had several large lilac bushes around it. Some are huge. Like this one. I spent yesterday afternoon cutting some to place all around my house and the smell is better than any potpourri, candle, or incense.



I hope that all of you have a great Memorial Day weekend and you take some time to stop and smell the lilacs.

No comments: