Saturday, April 18, 2009

My New Toy

When I first decided to start a business making invitations I knew I would have to get a high-quality printer. Print quality was going to make or break me- no matter how great the graphic is, if it doesn't print well, it won't look good. After talking to one sales guy at Small Dog (I still love them though) I hastily plunked down $600 for a Brother Color Laser All-In-One.

It wasn't until well past the 30 day Return period that I actually started printing on it regularly and I immediately started to notice some flaws. Mainly, it curls the paper (a lot) and the quality wasn't what I was really expected. I mean, it was nice, just not the professional quality I was going for.

Then a couple of days ago it started to leave little specs all over my prints. After spending an hour plus cleaning the drums and something called the corona wire (and, no, it has nothing to do with crisp, refreshing beer best served with a slice of lemon) I threw in the towel. I went to Staples and bought a new INK JET printer.

This time around I did a lot of research before I decided on what I wanted which ended up being an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 with Claria HD Ink. It seemed the best quality without going over $500) I won't lie- it hurt plunking down another few hundred dollars on a printer, but it will ultimately be worth it. I will chalk it up as one of those 'rookie' mistakes with a lesson well learned. Do your research before you buy large equipment!

I have alredy printed an entire invitation order on it and I am giddy with how stress-free it was. And no need to flatten everything under a stack of phone books!

No comments: