Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Color Purple & Providence Performing Arts Center


This past weekend I had the pleasure of going to visit my Mom in Rhode Island. My Mom moved there a little over a year ago and it has been fun to have a new place to explore and get to know. Especially since she is very close to Providence and there is a ton of stuff there that we don't have up here in Vermont, or in the White Mountain region of New Hampshire which is where I grew up and my Mom previously resided.


One of the great things in Providence is the Performing Arts Center- a gorgeous restored old theatre originally built in the 1920's. We went to see Fiddler On The Roof there on Valentine's Day and it was amazing. The architecture of the theatre alone is entertaining and I had a hard time keeping my eyes off the walls and ceilings to watch the show. (Not to say the show wasn't amazing, because it was, and it was my first time seeing Fiddler.)



When my Mom told me they were going to have The Color Purple showing at the end of May I insisted that we get tickets. Although I have never read the book (I really need to get on that!) the movie has been a favorite of mine for a long time. So as a combined Mothers Day and Birthday present to ourselves we went. My Mom managed to score some amazine seats too! Look how close we are to the stage!


I managed to sneak in a few photos. They don't really allow cameras into the theatre, but I made sure to only snap some shots between acts and before the play. Plus I didnt use my flash so I couldn't bother anyone or draw attention to myself. The image above is the curtain that hid the stage before the show and during intermission. It was made to look like an old piece of paper on which Celie (the main character) had written a letter to God. The play was awesome! So if you ever have a chance to go, I highly recommend it! (Even if you do end up crying a million times)

No comments: