Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Handmade Wedding

With the economy in a slump and the resurgence of the DIY mindset, it comes as no surprise that many people are going the handmade route for their weddings. The resources available are amazing and even better than most of the mass made, box store merchandise in many cases. From Martha Stewart crafts sold at Michael's and WalMart to inspirational websites and blogs such as Project Wedding and Style Me Pretty showing you tons of creative handmade inspiration, the creative ideas are everywhere.

The handmade movement definitely has its roots bound in Etsy. The beautiful, artisan products available for your special day can be found in abundance here! From invitations to favors to bridal jewelry to groomsmen gifts- you cou easily plan and coordinate your entire wedding completely on Etsy. And it makes sense- most of the stuff I have found is not only made better than most mass produced items, but they are more attractive and usually can be customized for a low fee, plus the overall cost is comparable or only slightly more expensive.

Here is a sampling of some of my favorite items that I recently found on Etsy's handy Wedding search category:


This elegant ensemble is so gorgeous I want to buy all three items just to play dress-up. It is retro and sophisticated and would make any bride look like a glamerous old-holywood starlet.

Divine Deco Claudette necklace by EMbridal, Yvonne Dew drop veil with detachable hand sculpted feather flower by hairfasconators, Mavis bridal Earring by EMbridal



This is just a smattering of some of the decorating ideas I found in my one hour search- imagine what you could find in an afternoon? From table runners and centerpieces to cake toppers and floral arrangements- Etsy really does have it all. And a lot of it is truly unique- stuff you wouldnt find going to the mall.

Like the clay floral arrangment above, bottom-left. I didnt even know you could make flowers out of clay, let alone an entire stunning arrangement! The beauty and delicateness of it just takes my breath away. Created by seller PetalbyPetal (a very appropriate name I think), I was amazed at how affordable this was, compared to live flowers that will eventually whither and die. This will become a keepsake for you to treasure for years to come.

And the 'cootie catcher' menu, top-left, is such a neat idea I am kicking myself for not thinking of it first! What a fun and entertaining way to present your menu, or even a program of the day's events. They are available in many different styles from seller katskrafts.

The cute bride and groom wedding topper, top-right, is customizable with whatever hair color, suit and dress color, and skin tone you want. Or if you want to flex your own artistic muscle you can just get the DIY kit and paint them however you like! From seller goosegrease.

I really love the engraved oath stone with the bride and groom's names and wedding date. I think I might get this even though it has been almost three years since I got married, just because I think it would make such a neat keepsake. I am drawn to any nature inspired mementos and this would look so cute sitting on my plant table in our living room. I am thinking it might just make a great anniversary present! From seller SJengraving.

Martha Stewart also sells some 'make-your-own tissue paper pom-poms, but the colors are limited so I was happy to see these colorful kits, bottom-right, by seller prosttothehost. With over 30 colors to choose from you know you will find something that will go with whatever theme you have. Her kits also include quite a bit more than the Martha ones do.

So these are just a few ideas of how you can make your wedding more handmade with items that are unique and customizable. It really is all of the little details that make your special day stand out from the normal, hum-drum, wedding-in-a-box events and gets your personality to really shine through.

No comments: